Tips for feeding chinchilla
In the mountainous areas of South America, where the weather is dry and the temperature is very different day and night, only some tropical desert plants can survive. As a pure vegetarian, the chinchilla lives on the root, bark and hay of cactus, The diet has also been improved. Because of the growing popularity of kittens, many pet food vendors have launched a series of products specially designed for them
1. Basic feed
In addition to being more economical, they can also be used to cut teeth
2. Drinking water
Of course, fresh water is indispensable. You can hang it outside the cage with a colloidal water bottle for small animals. Because the quality of Hong Kong’s hose water is not praiseworthy, I still suggest that you use the distilled water or steamed water to be safer than teaching
Remember to change fresh water every day and wash the bottle with hot water every week
Many snacks, such as a few dried raisins, huideng melon seeds and even a small piece of apple, are also very popular. There are also some snacks specially designed for them that can be bought on the market. Although they like this kind of food very much, don’t over feed them. Because they will become partial food and may cause gastrointestinal discomfort, diarrhea and other phenomena, which is not good for the body
4. Vitamins and minerals
In fact, there are enough vitamins in chinchilla food, but if your baby is thin, you can add a little liquid vitamin to the water for him to drink
In addition, put a mineral stone or wood block for small animals to grind their teeth and absorb minerals
5. Feeding rules:
1) Every evening, when they just wake up, they can be fed once. But if your kitten is full of food and refuses to return to the cage after it is released, you can feed it after it is released to play
2) During the day, only enough hay is needed for his house
3) At three months old, the portion is halved, and then gradually increased until eight months old
4) If you have too much to eat, you should reduce the portion
5) If you don’t have any food left, it may be too small
6) The hay that can’t be eaten should be discarded to prevent it from becoming moldy
7) You should feed them snacks when you let them out, but don’t eat too much
8) Don’t give some stimulating food, try to cure them, because even if they are cheated, it may take a long time to accept your food next time
6. Harmful food:
1) They may like to eat bird food or hamster food, but long-term use of other feed may be harmful to them, and can not be detected in real time. The most common disease of chinchilla is gastrointestinal disease. As long as you don’t give them snacks, there are few problems
2) Green vegetables, such as lettuce, can be given one or two at a time, but in large amounts it can cause diarrhea
3) Cedar’s wood (mahogany) is harmful to them
My family’s chinchilla eat these, chinchilla food (staple food),
Alfalfa hay, with crude fiber, protein and calcium (because chinchilla does not sun, calcium is mainly provided by alfalfa hay), is the main diet, crude fiber can promote gastrointestinal peristalsis, ensure the smooth progress of digestion process, and can be used to grind teeth
The daily drinking water volume of chinchilla is 20-30ml. Clean the water dispenser regularly to ensure the water quality is clean
There are raisins, melon seeds, banana jerky, but do not eat every day, every day to one or two raisins is enough, chinchilla can not eat peanuts and soybeans!!
Chinchilla is a very good animal to take care of. Only one meal a day is enough. It is recommended to feed two meals. In the evening, it is recommended to feed the staple food and in the morning to feed hay. Give them some special feed at dusk every day. The amount depends on the individual’s food intake. Generally, the next morning, you can observe the amount of food left in the basin. Gradually, you can master the amount of your baby’s food. 70% of the chinchilla’s food is at night, and on-demand supply can ensure that there is no waste. If the food intake changes, we should find out the reason to see if we are ill. The main food of chinchilla is a mixture of various ingredients to ensure the healthy growth of chinchilla. In addition, chinchillas also need to eat Timothy and alfala hay. Echelon grass, also known as cat tail grass, is a kind of hay that can be eaten by chinchilla in large quantities and can be used as a staple food. Because chinchilla has 16 big teeth, molars can only help grind four front teeth, and the big teeth growing behind need to eat a lot of high fiber hay to help grind. Otherwise, chinchilla’s teeth will have problems in old age, and even root collapse will cause brain death. Medicago sativa is one of the main ingredients in the diet of chinchilla. However, it should not make the chinchilla too fat. Therefore, alfalfa should be used as supplementary nutrition grass, which can be given twice a week. However, the new chinchilla can give more because the nutrition provided by large-scale farms can not fully meet the needs of its growth and development. Other hay such as oats, wheat and barley grass can be used as auxiliary hay to adjust the taste of chinchilla. Remember that chinchilla can’t eat fresh grass. You can’t pull up some weeds to feed them!
¢Û . instructions for drinking water
An adult chinchilla needs 20-40 ml of water a day. Chinchilla is a very drought tolerant animal. However, the drinking water of chinchilla must be kept clean. Raw water, at least boiled water or purified water, should not be given to chinchilla. The farm suggests that pet raising can give people drinking mineral water, which is more helpful for the beautiful fur color of chinchilla. Salt can be added to drinking water in summer, which is to make the chinchilla thirsty and drink more water, so that the chinchilla urinates more and helps to send out body heat. The kettle used by chinchilla should be cleaned regularly. Rinse it with warm salt water every week. The water can’t deteriorate and even grow moss, which is harmful to chinchilla!
¢Ü . snacks that chinchilla can eat
Chinchilla likes all kinds of sweets. Raisins, dried bananas and other dried fruits are their favorite. When choosing, try to choose the ones that don’t add too much excipients. The appropriate amount of sunflower seeds can supplement the linoleic acid needed by chinchilla, but sunflower seeds are not suitable for daily feeding, and about 10 seeds a week is enough. There are also some special formula snacks for chinchilla, which may not be suitable for all the flavors of chinchilla at the beginning, but they will be very popular as long as they have been eaten. No matter what kind of snacks, we can’t give them too much, because they will eat a partial diet instead of feed. In this way, chinchillas will become thinner like children who are partial eaters. Snacks are only used to enhance the relationship between the owner and the chinchilla, and to help the newly arrived kittens get familiar with the environment and adjust their appetite. Generally, one or two raisins a day is enough.
¢Ý . provide extra nutrition for chinchilla
In general, the special feed already contains the nutrients needed by chinchilla every day. But in one of the following situations, some additional nutritional supplements are needed. When a chinchilla gets home, it can supplement some vitamins to help it stabilize its mood, and it can also supplement some auxin to make up for the lack of nutrition in the farm. Young, thin and sick chinchillas also need vitamins and calcium supplements. Before and after delivery, chinchilla women need to supplement auxin, vitamins and calcium powder, and a small amount of emulsifier can be added to help the mother to produce more milk and feed a healthy baby. “
¢Þ . foods that chinchilla can’t eat
Although chinchillas have good resistance and adaptability, long-term artificial feeding has made their digestive system vulnerable. The chinchillas are naturally slandered. They will study whether they can be used as food if they get what they get. If they eat flowers that are not supposed to eat, they may cause diseases of digestion, excretion and immune system of chinchilla, and some diseases may not be found in a short time. Therefore, our owners must guard against them. First of all, chinchilla can’t eat any fresh vegetables and fruits. The only thing we can give them is apples. Foods with too much water can easily cause chinchilla diarrhea. Chinchilla can’t eat peanuts and soybeans. Peanuts contain too much oil, and soybeans will swell when they absorb water into their abdomen, causing discomfort to chinchilla and even causing intestinal obstruction and death.
¢ß Some principles of chinchilla feeding
Chinchilla is a small animal with a very regular life. The most punctual time for them to eat is meal time. Therefore, regular feeding every day is very helpful to enhance their trust in their owners. Just arrived at home because the chinchilla may not adapt to eat very little, do not think that its food intake is so point. It’s best to put an apple in the cage every day as an optional supplement. If the cat doesn’t want to eat fresh urine, we will remind the cat to change the rest if it doesn’t have fresh urine. Snacks can only be used to cultivate feelings and training. If you want to let them go, start gradually releasing cages and feeding a little snacks before the chinchilla meal will make the training more effective. Don’t mix a variety of different food to chinchilla at the same time. They will eat what it thinks is delicious first and leave the bad one. The chinchilla needs various nutrients, so try to give a single feed, the staple food is the staple food, and the feed is the feed. But there are also imported chinchilla feed which is made of 10 different kinds of food, and the chinchilla always discards one or two of them.
1. Number of times: three times of supplementary feeding is OK, about once every 5 hours. If it is totally artificial, that is to say, when the baby can hardly drink milk, once every two hours.
2. Preparation of milk powder: the proportion of each kind of milk powder mixed with water is different. Please refer to the instructions for details. It can be converted according to that proportion, which is basically 2G milk powder mixed with 13g water. Attention must not be too thick, as it will cause baby laxity or constipation. In the mixing time, the boiled water should be cooled to 40 ¡æ, and then the milk powder should be put in the boiling water directly. The nutrition loss is too much. Of course, we can feel the 40 ¡æ boiling water, and drop it on the back of your hand, which is slightly higher than the body temperature. After each feeding, the rest is poured out, and the new one is washed next time.
3. Milk feeding precautions: try not to force irrigation, strong irrigation is also skilled, otherwise choking milk is easy to die, a large part of artificial giant pandas are choking milk leading to pneumonia death. Hello, baby, it’s time to start to resist.
4. Note after feeding: observe the stool, if it is a little soft, don’t be too nervous, but if there is no stool or especially little, it should be noted that you can add a little milk Mi love, pay attention to a little yo. Use 1 / 5 pouch at most a day, and then rub baby’s tummy with hot towel. Under the artificial condition, if the mother does not care about the baby, or the mother is not there, she should wipe the baby with a cotton swab with warm water every day, so as to stimulate the baby to defecate.
5. Observe the weight: the baby’s weight is measured at a fixed time every day. In the first few days of artificial feeding, the weight does not rise normally. As long as the weight does not fall off, it has been very successful, and gradually the weight will rise.
You can’t feed milk directly. You can make milk powder for kittens. Temperature control, do not hot, do not cool. Feed (throw away the needle) with a 1ml syringe. Be careful not to choke on the kitten. It’s dangerous for newborn cats to take medicine. Appear laxity, should be the result of drinking milk. Drink milk powder will also appear not suitable, may also be lax. Baker’s milk powder is good, but the price is also high. I hope it can help you.
1. How to make milk suitable for chinchilla?
Because the newborn 3-4 days of baby kittens milk is very limited, so each time only need to adjust about 15 grams of milk. The ratio of milk powder and warm water is 2G milk powder + 13g warm water (it is a little waste, but it can’t be adjusted any less, and the concentration is not easy to master). With the growth of kittens, the concentration should also be increased. The prepared milk should not be stored. It is better to adjust it every time when feeding, and the utensils must be cleaned carefully after feeding.
2. How much milk should be fed?
The amount of Artificial Supplementary Feeding for the first time will be very small. Basically, only 0.1-0.3 ml can be fed each time. Because the taste of milk powder and breast milk is different, it will take a certain time and process for them to accept it. Until the fifth day, each time you eat can reach 1 ml right. If the cat does not hold the syringe, it will not be able to suck the milk from its mouth.
3. How many times a day do you need to feed?
Generally, when supplementary feeding is needed, it can be carried out during the day. Because the mother of the cat will feed the kittens at night, no artificial assistance is needed. It’s OK to feed every two hours, basically 4-5 times a day. According to the actual situation can be flexibly mastered, if you eat more at a time, you can interval longer feeding.
The electronic scale is a good helper for the owner who takes good care of chinchilla. It can be used to precisely control the amount of feed. Chinchillas can’t speak and can’t tell their owners when they feel sick, but if the owner can insist on weighing the cat once a week, problems may be found. (the normal weight fluctuation of adult chinchillas should be about 10-15g). Especially for cats of childbearing age, the owners rarely see the suppository. However, the weight of pregnant cats will continue to increase significantly (3-5 grams per day) about 40 days after conception. Therefore, the owner can judge whether the cat is pregnant by weighing.
The electronic scale is even more necessary for newborn kittens. By weighing the baby every day, we can know whether the mother has milk, whether it is enough to eat, whether to give the mother a milk injection, whether to add milk to the baby. After the kittens are born, they should be weighed every day to determine whether they drink milk and whether the milk is enough, which is also the basis for deciding whether to carry out artificial supplementary feeding.
Temperature and humidity meter is essential! In hot and humid weather, if the room temperature exceeds 30 ¡æ, chinchilla is likely to get heatstroke! That’s a very dangerous thing, because heat stroke can cause central nervous system damage. In mild cases, it can cause lifelong disability (four uncoordinated, unstoppable, unstable), and severe cases will die quickly. Therefore, it is necessary for the owner of chinchilla to keep an eye on the changes of room temperature and humidity and take measures to prevent heatstroke.
Sweet and crisp apples
It’s only artificial feeding. It’s the first birth
The bottle / syringe of eye drops will work. The old-fashioned eye drops have been cleaned
The milk powder should not be too hot. Try the temperature on the back of your hand. Hold the kitty in your hand gently
Start feeding, don’t choke it. Let it finish slowly. That’s it. Isn’t our cat that big