How to prevent cat poisoning

       Cats are very curious small animals. Many things in the house will attract the cat’s attention, and many things may lead to poisoning of cats, such as drugs, plants, sewage in life, and so on. If cats eat by mistake, they will cause diseases or even death. Therefore, some preventive measures are necessary.

       I. prevention of cat flower poisoning

       Make sure that the flowers and plants raised at home are not toxic to cats. If there are any of these plants, try to avoid contact with them. Because some kinds of flowers and plants are toxic to cats. If cats swallow these flowers and plants in the process of playing, it is easy to cause toxic reactions and even cause death. Common poisonous plants to cats are: azalea, oleander, lily, evergreen, Narcissus, jasmine, morning glory, tulip, peony, onion, etc.

       2. Prevention of poisoning of domestic pollutants in cats

       When cleaning the house, mopping the floor, washing clothes and dishes, the cat should avoid drinking dirty water with disinfectant or detergent. Because some of the disinfectants or detergents are very complex, some of them will corrode the delicate esophageal and gastrointestinal mucosa of burned cats, which will cause gastrointestinal discomfort of cats and cause diarrhea, vomiting and other symptoms.

       3. Prevention of pesticide poisoning in cats

       When using insecticides at home, avoid contact or even swallowing by cats. Many families will use some rodenticide or bait to kill cockroaches and ants from time to time. When using these baits, they should be placed where the cat can’t touch, because most of these things smell very fragrant, and it is easy to attract cats to steal and eat them, thus causing poisoning.

       IV. prevention of drug poisoning by cats

       1. Prevent the cat from poisoning by taking cold medicine by mistake

       So what if it’s really unfortunate to find that your cat has taken cold medicine? First, use concentrated saline to induce vomiting as soon as possible within 4 ~ 6 hours after the cat has taken the medicine, and the more early it is, the better the effect will be. Then, it will be sent to a qualified large-scale regular pet hospital for antidote treatment as soon as possible. In case of dyspnea, there are oxygen inhalation and infusion. If the cat swallows cold medicine for more than six hours, the chances of recovery may be small, because most of the medicine taken by that time has been absorbed.

       2. First aid method of rodenticide poisoning

       (1) poisoning of rodenticides.

       This is a powerful rodenticide. It is white and odorless crystalline powder, which increases the permeability of pulmonary capillaries, and a large amount of plasma enters the lung tissue, resulting in pulmonary edema. Dogs feed for a few minutes to a few hours, vomiting, foaming at the mouth, then diarrhea, cough, dyspnea, mental depression, visual mucosal cyanosis, and nasal mucus flowing out of foam. Generally, coma and drowsiness occurred at 10-12 hours after ingestion, and a few died within 2-4 hours after ingestion. There is no specific antidote for this poisoning, but emetic, gastric lavage, catharsis and diuresis can be used.

       (2) zinc phosphide poisoning.

       This is a commonly used rodenticide, gray powder. A few days after ingestion, it mixes with water and gastric acid in the stomach, releasing hydrogen phosphide, causing severe gastroenteritis. The sick dogs had abdominal pain, no food, vomiting, coma, drowsiness, rapid and deep breathing. Asphyxia, diarrhea, bloody stool. 0.2% – 0.5% CuSO4 can be given orally. Solution 10-30 ml, in order to vomit, discharge stomach poison. 0.02% KMnO4 solution can be used for gastric lavage, and then 15 g Na2SO4 for catharsis. Intravenous injection of hypertonic glucose solution is beneficial to liver protection.

       (3) organofluoride rodenticides poisoning.

       2-3 days after eating, the sick dog was restless, vomiting, gastrointestinal hyperfunction, running, barking, and paroxysmal spasm of the whole body, lasting for about 1 minute, and finally died. 1-0.2 g / kg body weight. The first dose is 1 / 2 of the whole day’s dose. The remaining 1 / 2 is divided into 4 parts and injected once every 2 hours. With emetic and gastric lavage. Feeding raw egg white to the sick dog is helpful to protect the mucosa of digestive tract. Intravenous injection of 5-10 ml calcium gluconate is beneficial.

       What we said above are common items at home. We don’t mean that cats live in danger every day. As long as the owners put away their things and train them properly, every cat will grow up healthily and safely.