Himalayan cat is a hybrid of Persian cat and Siamese cat. It is recognized as a new variety of long haired cat in the middle of 20th century. Its breed characteristics can be summarized as follows: Persian cat with black fur. But its Chinese name is based on the Himalayan rabbit, which is very similar to its fur color. Because of its lovely appearance and intelligent and docile character, it is more and more popular among cat lovers. This paper introduces its breed characteristics, purchase and breeding points.
1¡¢ Variety characteristics
Head: wide and round, with round face; round eyes and blue background; short and flat nose; small ears with rounded top.
Trunk: the body length is short, shoulder width and waist width are basically the same, the back line is straight, the chest is wide and deep, it is cylindrical, and there is no abdomen in the state of upward retraction.
Limbs: short and thick, strong and powerful.
Toe: large and round, covered with thick coat.
Tail: relatively thick and short, in proportion to the trunk, rich in hair; when walking, it will not be upwarped, generally slightly lower than the topline, but not landing.
Coat: it is very thick and soft, but not close to the skin. It feels very comfortable. It is divided into upper hair and lower hair. The lower hair is long and thick. The hair on the neck, ears and toes is thick and long.
Coat color: with the development of this variety, the coat color is gradually enriched, but a key point that must be followed is that the difference between body hair color and spot coat color should be obvious, that is, the so-called key color. Body hair colors mainly include white, seal, blue, chocolate, red, lilac, etc.; spotted coat colors mainly include seal color, blue color, cream color, lilac color, chocolate color, flame color, hawksbill color, Bobcat color, etc. among them, the latter five color cultivation is more difficult, so the number is relatively small, but it is also the most popular.
2¡¢ Purchase points
In fact, no matter what is the most important indicator of health: 1. To judge whether a cat is healthy or not, first of all, we should see its mental state. When the cat is awake, it should be dexterous and quick to react; secondly, to observe its fur, the healthy cat’s fur should be clean and pliable; thirdly, to observe its secretion, the healthy cat’s secretion should be few and no obvious trace; finally, the seller should be required to show the cat It is proved that if the cat has not reached the age of the first immunization week (the first immunization of the kitten with the triple vaccine is nine weeks old, the second immunization is around four weeks, and then once a year; the first immunization of rabies vaccine is more than 4 months old, and then once a year), the cat can be required to show the immunization certificate of the female cat.
2. Phase factors: we should try our best to select according to the above breed characteristics. Another technique is to select according to the breeding cats (i.e. cat father and cat mother). This is mainly because Himalayan cats are relatively light in color when they are young, and even do not appear. Need to remind a point, try to go to a regular, reputable cat house to choose or buy other owners of domestic breeding, in order to ensure the appearance. In addition, if you choose a purebred cat, please be sure to ask the merchant to show the pedigree certificate and the purebred cat registration certificate of the breeding cat (i.e. cat father and cat mother).
Figure 2: Certificate of purebred cat registration issued by CFA
3¡¢ Feeding points
1. Give the cat immunity (cat triad and rabies) and physical examination regularly to master the cat’s health status.
2. Choose high-quality cat food for your cat. Do it regularly, regularly and quantitatively. If you don’t eat it, you should remove it in time. Do not feed deteriorated cat food or human food. In addition, adequate clean drinking water should be provided.
3. Himalayan cat belongs to the breed of long hair cat, which needs to be combed every day, and it is suggested to comb it backwards to make its fur more fluffy and stimulate the growth of its fur to a certain extent. The action of combing should be as gentle as possible. Do not pull and drag. On the one hand, it will hurt the cat’s skin, on the other hand, it will also lead to the cat’s resistance to combing. When encountering small knots, you can cut them slightly and comb them through slowly. If the knots are large, you can cut them directly.
4. Clean the cat’s eyes and external auditory canal with light salt water (or special medicine) dipped in wet cotton ball or cotton swab every two days, and observe the secretion of cats. If any abnormality is found, it should be treated or sent to a doctor in time.
5. Ensure that the cat litter basin is located in a ventilated and dry place. Check the litter basin from time to time, and clean up the excreta of the cat litter in time. Add the litter in time, and replace it completely every half a month. When cleaning the excreta of cats, observe by the way, and find out the cause or send to a doctor in case of any abnormality.
6. Buy a cat scratch board. Even if the owner trims the cat’s paws regularly, it is still a necessary item for the cat.
7. Because Himalayan cats are generally lazy, the owners should spend a certain amount of time playing with the cats every day. On the one hand, it can enhance the feelings between each other, on the other hand, it also provides the cats with the necessary amount of exercise. If the owner is busy and the free time is not fixed, you can buy some toys or cat climbing frame for the cat to play by itself.