The last article “what to do when you find a stray cat (hospital physical examination)” talked about the rescue steps suggested by misoprostol: medical examination in hospital ¡ú isolation at home ¡ú taking a bath and taking photos for adoption ¡ú birth control (if the budget is sufficient) ¡ú delivery ¡ú return visit. After the physical examination in the hospital, if there are some serious problems, they should be further observed and treated according to the suggestions of the veterinarian; if there are no major problems, they can be taken home at ease. In this article, we will talk about how to take care of stray cats while waiting for adoption at home.
When you take it home, the first thing you do is isolate. If there are other pets in the house, the stray cats need to be separated. This is because:
1. Fecal examination can not detect 100% parasites, there is a certain probability that no detection. Isolation is the best way to make sure everything is safe.
2. Some infectious diseases, stray cats with virus but no clinical symptoms, still infectious. Such as cat coronavirus (FCV), a cat viral respiratory disease. When some cats are infected with FCV, the symptoms are not very serious and recover after about 7-10 days. At this time, the clinical symptoms disappear and look like healthy cats, but they often become carriers and dangerous sources of infection. The convalescent cats with FCV disease can be infected for up to 35 days. In case of emergency, stray cats must be strictly isolated after entering the house to prevent the virus from spreading to their own cats.
3. Some domestic cats are not very receptive to new cats, which may lead to fighting or stress. The purpose of isolating stray cats is to keep cats at peace and reduce conflicts and accidents.
4. If economic conditions permit, it is also an option to place the rescued stray cats in the hospital for foster care.
Stray cats that can be picked up by us are usually not aggressive. If the cat is injured, I am afraid it needs to be hospitalized for observation and treatment. If you can manage it at home, you also need to follow the doctor’s instructions. If it is a healthy adult cat or a kitten with long teeth, in addition to bathing to expel insects and isolate fleas, feed formula staple food and provide sufficient clean drinking water. It’s difficult to take care of a baby cat if she leaves her mother early. Here’s how to take care of it.
How to take care of the baby cat?
1. I have done physical examination in the hospital to solve the problems that have been found. The common problem of milk cats is that parasites and Escherichia coli exceed the standard. Parasites may not be the common Ascaris and tapeworms, but also coccidia or other parasites. It is necessary to select the appropriate medicine according to the results of stool examination and veterinary advice, and feed according to the instructions or in accordance with the doctor’s advice. If Escherichia coli or other harmful bacteria exceed the standard, you can adjust your diet slowly, or you can feed pet probiotics to promote intestinal health. During treatment and rehabilitation, cat litter should be replaced frequently. It is suggested to buy some special urine pads for pets, and replace them with new ones immediately after excretion, so as to prevent the spread of harmful bacteria and feces.
2. Avoid foreign body ingestion or injury. The baby cat who has just left the cat’s mother may be very dependent on the soft fabric, and will get into the fabric to suck milk. These are normal phenomena of breast love. Avoid the baby cat eating the cloth head, string and other foreign matters, and pay attention to the wire and other dangerous goods. Don’t put the cat in a high position, such as windowsill, table, chair, cabinet, etc. Milk cats are less alert to danger than adult cats and are prone to fall from high places.
3. Keep warm. The cushion can be placed in a warm and dry indoor place. The early weaning cats are not very strong in their own immunity and are more likely to get sick. They also need to pay attention to the cleanliness and hygiene of the environment.
4. Get in the sun. Good weather in the sun, can let the baby cat in the shade of the sun, can prevent bacterial infection.
How does a baby cat eat it?
1. Feed special cat formula. All formula milk powder, in the maximum imitation of breast milk. Cat’s milk, not milk or goat’s milk, is definitely suitable for kittens. However, it is not possible to find a lactating cat. Therefore, professional formula cat milk powder is the most appropriate choice when no lactating female cat can be found. As for the feeding method and quantity, follow the instructions on the milk powder package.
2. During the period of baby cat’s tooth growth, the feeding of baby cat’s milk cake or kitten’s food can be increased, and the baby cat’s food can be gradually transferred to cat food. Use a spoon to crush the hard grain, and make a little milk powder for the baby. When kittens can chew cat food, they can be fed with dry food gradually according to the situation. It’s easy for a baby cat to eat without food when she leaves her mother. If she is fed with wet food, it’s easy to eat rice all over her face It was a terrible sight. If the fur and skin are covered with food and can’t be cleaned up for a long time, eczema may develop in the kitten, which will lead to hair loss and skin redness. Therefore, for the little milk cats with no food appearance, eating dry food is easier to avoid these skin problems~
3. Feeding tools should be suitable for the body of the suckling cat. You can use a cat bottle to feed milk. The mouth of the pacifier should not be cut too large. You can also directly use the syringe to feed. The feeding speed should be slow rather than fast. Be careful not to choke the cat. During the period of changing into dry food, the small bowl of milk cat should not be too high or too deep, otherwise it will be difficult to eat.
4. The temperature of milk powder should be controlled around body temperature. How much to drink and how much to wash. If you have too much to drink, put it in the refrigerator and keep it cold. Soak it in hot water before feeding. Don’t be too cold or too hot.
How to bathe the kitten?
1. If the kitten is healthy and clean, you don’t need to give it a bath, in order to avoid the cold disease.
During the rescue process, the stool test results of two baby cats were abnormal. One infected with coccidia, diarrhea diarrhea every day; the other small milk cat Escherichia coli exceeded the standard, soft stool situation is very serious. During the actual feeding, I bathed them. Therefore, feces sticking to the fur are easy to be licked into the mouth, leading to the spread of parasites and harmful bacteria in the mouth. There is no way to do it. It can’t be done without washing.
2. Pet bath liquid should be mild, weak acid or neutral lotion. Bath gel, shampoo and soap for human use should never be used. Of course, for emergency, only one pour is not harmful, but if you take a bath for many times for a long time, you must use a special bath gel for pets. All soap is alkaline, the best case is weak alkaline, can not meet the requirements of weak acid or neutral, so whether it claims to be suitable for pet use, we should try to avoid, do not superstitious business propaganda. Pet bath liquid must avoid mixing into the cat’s eyes, ears, mouth, nose, to prevent irritation to the cat’s mucosal tissue. The head is usually not too dirty, just wipe it with a clean wet towel. After taking a bath, be sure to rinse it to reduce residue.
3. The water temperature is about 1 ~ 2 ¡æ higher than that of the cat. If you have a gas water heater that can adjust the water content in your home, of course, if you can’t measure the water temperature, you can feel the heat slightly when you reach into the water.
4. After taking a bath, dry the hair with a dry towel as much as possible, and then blow it all dry with a hair dryer. When using the hair dryer, in order to avoid too high temperature or too strong wind, you can stick a hand on the fur of the milk cat and move back and forth to prevent the hot wind from blowing directly on the cat. You can also feel the temperature yourself to avoid being too hot.
5. Put the washed and dried kitten back to the warm and dry isolation place, pay attention to keep warm.
How to teach kitten to defecate?
When the baby cat can’t defecate autonomously, you can put it into the litter basin, lift its tail with one hand, and gently wipe its anus with a cotton swab. In most cases, the baby cat will start defecating under stimulation. Usually can also help small milk cat gently massage stomach, help defecation. After the baby cat grows teeth and changes into dry food, he can learn to defecate independently.
How to teach kittens to use litter?
Method 1: because of its small size and short limbs, it may not be easy to climb into the litter basin. You can make a simple litter basin out of the carton. The height of the basin should not exceed the leg length of the cat. You can also add a small slope on the edge of the litter basin to facilitate the entry and exit of the baby cat. Put the small litter basin in the isolation area of the milk cat, pour in the litter, and some of the baby cats will naturally learn.
Method 2: if the baby cat completely ignores the litter and excretes freely on the ground, you can collect its excreta, put it in the litter, and then hold the kitten into the litter basin, hold its forelimb and bury it. Repeat it several times. Then the cat litter basin position, moved to the small milk cat excretion position, also can teach the baby cat to use litter.
Method 3: some kittens will have obvious symptoms before excretion. For example, a baby cat with a urine pad may not feel that the urine pad is a place for excretion, so it will be very anxious and anxious before excreting, and will run around in the air box; there is also a baby cat who will bury the litter on the carpet beside the litter before excreting. When these symptoms appear, you can immediately take the kitten into the litter basin you have prepared for it, and then hide and wait quietly. It can also learn to use it by itself after smelling the litter basin and getting familiar with the environment.
If the kitten pulled the wrong position, it must not be beaten or scolded, because it completely does not understand why you are cruel to it, but will have a fear of you. To create a suitable, convenient and clean excretion environment is what you should consider for it.
Key points of experience:
1. The best choice for cat litter is bentonite sand without smell. Cats naturally like this kind of sand texture cat litter. The tasteless cat litter is easier to identify and easier to learn to use.
2. Cat litter basin should not be placed too far away. During the isolation period, the range of activities of the kitten is not large. Try to put the litter basin in the place where it is easy to reach or frequently excrete.
3. Cat litter basin should not be too high, otherwise the baby cat is not easy to climb in and out.
4. If the cat can’t use it, put it in for induction. If the cat can use it, clean the litter basin in time.
While taking care of the baby cat, you can also help it find an adoptive family. As for the method of finding adoption, we will explain it in detail in the last part.
Source: ketchup hemp